Here's one that was submitted to us recently by T. Thornton:

Attachment:
133.png
133.png [ 112.08 KiB | Viewed 3543 times ]

133-2670 - Ronnie Walton - Let Them Talk

https://youtu.be/x1h2Q5WsA1k

133-2671 - Ronnie Walton - A Man Needs A Home

https://youtu.be/WC3w260PV3o

(...now added to the 1969 page, with YouTube audio linked)

On 2671, there was some speculation that it might be Eddie Bo:

Quote:
As far as Eddie Bo is concerned, he was winding up his association with Joe Banashak around then, and in October 0f ’68 he called himself ‘Roy Ward’ on the legendary “Horse With A Freeze” (219-2579/2580) on Seven B 7020… by July ’69, he had hooked with Al Scramuzza, and hit the big time with “Hook and Sling” (105-4041/4042) - on Scram 117.

SO - the ultra rare 45 you have may just be the last thing Bo did for Seven B, and was never released after Bo went with Scram!! Bo had succeeded Sax Kari as Banashak’s producer for his Instant label, and Huey ‘Piano’ Smith became the producer after Bo left - probably all the more reason that the record never saw the light of day… although, after Hook’ hit later in ’69, you’d think Banashak would have jumped on it… perhaps those pseudonyms (Roger & The Gypsies, Roy Ward etc.) were contractually related, and it couldn’t be released under Bo’s name, so a ‘coat-tails’ hit would be out of the question…

...after hearing the flip side, however, I don't think Walton = Bo - but all of those inflections and grunts and groans at the beginning sure sound like him!

What do you think?

Thanks!

-red

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:32 pm 

Interesting find. The sound is a speaker recording; it'd be easier to determine authenticity if it was straight from the mixer. No offense meant.

The A sounds like either 1) an odd, off Eddie vocal, 2) a pretty good Bocage vocal imitation by "Ronnie Walton," or 3) Eddie's in the background and trading jibes with a leading "Walton" (a la "Timber"). Reads very much like a Bocage lyric and production, honestly, and I've heard pretty much everything he's ever released. Honestly, it might be an unfinished Bo piece or bed that was closed out/topped off by a ringer when Bocage pulled up stakes.

The B definitely is not Bo singing, but it might well be a Bocage lyric and/or production with the same players. Some potential Bo-ballad touches are there - from the waltzy timing to the purposeful off-key vocal sustains right down to the complicated minor close.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:02 pm 

It wouldn't surprise me if Roy Ward was actually a man named Roy Ward; that's certainly not Eddie's voice on Seven-B 7020, even if it is his lyric and production.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:10 pm 

Honestly, considering that the Little Buck's "Little Boy Blue" release was really just Eddie's "Lover And A Friend" bed re-warmed, I also wouldn't be surprised if Eddie's dead/moot work was getting recycled even earlier.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:01 am 

Let Them Talk is of course a cover of Little Willie John. This is a cool arrangement though with the NOLA horns replacing the strings on the LWJ. The ending is indeed unique, taking its cue from the harmonies on the LWJ but with much more emphasis here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:13 am 

also, would they have not released it because it clearly bites Dock of the Bay so much?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

W.Luck wrote:
Interesting find. The sound is a speaker recording; it'd be easier to determine authenticity if it was straight from the mixer. No offense meant.

The A sounds like either 1) an odd, off Eddie vocal, 2) a pretty good Bocage vocal imitation by "Ronnie Walton," or 3) Eddie's in the background and trading jibes with a leading "Walton" (a la "Timber"). Reads very much like a Bocage lyric and production, honestly, and I've heard pretty much everything he's ever released. Honestly, it might be an unfinished Bo piece or bed that was closed out/topped off by a ringer when Bocage pulled up stakes.

The B definitely is not Bo singing, but it might well be a Bocage lyric and/or production with the same players. Some potential Bo-ballad touches are there - from the waltzy timing to the purposeful off-key vocal sustains right down to the complicated minor close.

Good Points, W. - I agree that there is at least some Bo involvement... perhaps we'll never know the specifics. The YouTube poster has promised us proper mp3s and label scans soon.

Stay Tuned!!

-red

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:45 pm 

Kris Holmes wrote:
Let Them Talk is of course a cover of Little Willie John. This is a cool arrangement though with the NOLA horns replacing the strings on the LWJ. The ending is indeed unique, taking its cue from the harmonies on the LWJ but with much more emphasis here.

Oops. Of course, you're right. I was so focused on the vocal ID and production that I completely missed, you know, the song. :oops:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:49 pm 

As with "Cottage For Sale," I actually haven't heard LWJ's version of "Let Them Talk" more than once or twice, which is probably inexcusable. As with both songs, I'm more used to James Brown's version, which I like better in the case of LTT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnobsD8fZVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAsHC8L7Q0I

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Guys:

I just got the actual mp3 rips of this one from Tarik Thornton. I've uploaded and linked the audio on the 1969 page for 2671 on the 1969 page...

Here is a link to the file (although I'm not sure how that might work here in the forum:

A Man Needs A Home:
http://www.hipcast.com/export/P222e05b219a6c9d72d3838fdcfe6e70cZ1x4R1REa2B3.mp3

It is my opinion at this point that this is indeed Eddie Bo on this side... listen closely to his 'un-huhs' and 'hmms' and 'ah-has' - pure Bo, baby!

-red

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » New Additions