195-969 - Teia 1002 - Tiny Watkins - All At Once
195-970 - Teia 1002 - Tiny Watkins - Torturing Lover

Added to 45cat:
http://www.45cat.com/record/teia1002

Post subject: Re: 195-969/70 Teia
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 am 
Site Admin

OK -

Now added to 1963, linked to 45cat, 969/970 removed from among The Missing. Very cool that Tim Whisett was the arranger...

I imagine this is the same Tiny Watkins that recorded for Excello?

Thanks!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Just heard back from Tim Whitsett:

Quote:
Tim Whitsett:
" Yes. Tiny was signed to my label, Rim Records. I produced that single. It was his first release for us. I wasn't very proud of it. We nailed it on the second release, "Talk, Talk, Talk." Anyway, "All At Once" didn't arouse any enthusiasm. About a year later, a chap, whose name I fail to recollect, rented an office in Johnny Vincent's building and set up shop selling Self-help business inspirational books, such as "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. We got to be acquainted and he decided he would like to start a label too, thus Teia Records. Needing product, he leased the Tiny Watkins master from me (with the same unfortunate results). I don't know about any Cosimo code, because we actually recorded it in Bob McRee's garage studio in Jackson. What you might be seeing is code numbers or markings from Sheldon Mastering Studio in Chicago who did all of Johnny Vincent's mastering for Ace. I don't think you could ever tell from an Ace record, or any other label's record, where it was recorded unless the studio was actually given credit on the label or liner notes. But the mastering engineer or studio (separate entity from the recording studio) nearly always put their mark on the plate so it can be reproduced on the vinyl pressings. It's just a tradition. (BTW, I'd forgotten all about the Teia release.)"

Very cool... do any of you deep-crated folks out there have any RIM 45s??

Thanks!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 am 

There's a nice Tiny Watkins page on sirshambling.
It seems that all RIM 45s were Rite pressings, without Cosimo codes. I've added the "Talk, Talk, Talk" 45 mentioned above to 45cat as well:
http://www.45cat.com/record/nc186584us

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Tim Whitsett:
"Rim released 14 singles: O'Neal Hudson & Orch; Wendell Moore; TW & Imperial Showband (5 releases); Cozy Coleman; Tiny Watkins (2 releases); Joe Frank & The Knights (same Joe Frank that was part of Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds), Hank & Buzz, Peggy Hixson: Hank Martin. While this was going on, I also released records on Epic, Musicor, Lowery/Capitol, Big 10, Imperial, Atlas, and a couple of Bob McRee one-off labels (like Big 10), the names of which have gone the way of their legacy. Also went to college, and played weekends with my band all over Mississippi, E. Louisiana, W. Alabama, and SW Tennessee. The label lived from 1961 through 1966, after which we hit the road for L.A., NYC and points beyond."

Tim now runs his own 'digital record label'

http://www.locobop.com/

...and has plans for a two volume Imperial Show Band release. From pre-Malaco Jackson to the Salad Days at Stax, Tim was there. Living History, Y'all!

-red

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:10 pm 

Looking forward to that Imperial Show Band release.

Next to the 45s listed above there was also a John Reider 45 on RIM, which I've just added to 45cat:
http://www.45cat.com/record/nc978846us

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

More from Tim Whitsett:

Quote:
Tim Whitsett:
"Yes, there two John Reider releases - 4116 and 4117. "Lemon Tree" was one side of 4117; I don't remember the other side's title. I'd forgotten about those because they weren't done under my eyes and ears. We (the Imperial Show Band) were in California and Nevada that year when my manager met and took a fancy to John Reider, a folk singer. With my permission, my manager used Rim as a vehicle to put our the two releases on Reider. They were far removed from the Rim "sound" (if there was such a thing), and I don't recall ever meeting John Reider."

There ya go...

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » New Additions