Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   HOME

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40 am 

OK - I know this is Off-Topic but seeing as all the NOLA experts in the world are now gathered here I can't think of a better place to ask.

Does anyone know anything about the recordings issued under the name of The Allen Toussaint Orchestra?

Here's a link to one on Amazon UK. On the back sleeve, the producer credits read 'Produced by Allen Toussaint and Marshall Sehorn'.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/superhero-theme ... +orchestra

I've come across these recording before but I've never bought one (I have heard some of it though). The music is MOR soft mush and has no trace at all of Toussaint/NOLA.

Does anyone know anything about these recordings?

Mods - please move this to another header if you think it appropriate.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:22 pm 

No-one? No clues as to the origins of these awful recordings?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 am 

Hi Gavin

I've no info. on that CD but I've seen another one similar to it
"Plays the Songs of Andrew Lloyd Webber" which is probably still
gathering dust in the charity shop where I saw it.

I had a look at the Amazon link you gave - must admit I'd be tempted
if it was cheap enough just to hear what they do to "Roadhouse Blues" - I love The Doors' version.

When and where is your band(s)' next gig ? - I'll try to make it.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 pm 

You on FB? We have a page there (Domino Gumbo). If not I'll PM ya.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:25 pm 

I asked Toussaint about them once but he didn't volunteer a lot of info. I said it didn't sound like he had anything to do with them musically and he put his finger to his head and said, "That's smart." He also said his partner at the time (which I assume means Sehorn) made them for the European market. What I don't know is who actually plays on them. I collected a few before deciding they weren't worth it; most are probably one guy playing synthesizer, but there's a Christmas one with a lot of singers and a "classic rock" one that has a band. Probably safe to say that Toussaint isn't anywhere on them.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm 

Cheers Brett. I think we can agree that Mr T. ain't on them! Would you have any idea what the dates of the recordings might be? (When did you ask him about them?)

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm 

Jorrox wrote:
Cheers Brett. I think we can agree that Mr T. ain't on them! Would you have any idea what the dates of the recordings might be? (When did you ask him about them?)

Hey Jorrox-- I asked him about it duiring an appearance he made at the Music Factory-- he was probably there to promote the NYNO records, so that would have been late 90s. From the synth sounds, I would guess that the Orchestra albums were done largely in the 80s, probably over a few years. It was around 1995, when I was starting to collect Toussaint-associated stuff that I first started encountering them on collectors type sites (think it was gemm.ciom).

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:43 am 

Cheers, man. I know it's hardly worth bothering about but if we don't care about this stuff then no-one ever will!

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion