Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   HOME

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:58 pm 

This is another LP waxed by "Cos" at his Gov. Nichols studio: Nov. 22, 1961. There are a couple of small photos taken during the session on the back cover.

Attachments:
Kid thomas Lewis GHB.jpg
Kid thomas Lewis GHB.jpg [ 73.79 KiB | Viewed 16475 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:46 pm 

Hi, there are four "IMPERIAL" LPs from the early 60s that "Cos" waxed, in the same studio as mentioned before. Three LPs under Papa Celestin's name, but actually Albert "Papa" French's band; and one with Punch Miller backed by French's band. Dave Bartholomew is heard on the "Bartholomew & Domino" song "it's You I Love", "IMPERIAL" LP-9119 (see photo). The recording was done: May 16, 1962 (525/21 Gov. Nichols). The track is some kind NO.LA Dixieland/R&B fusion, with the lineup: Alvin Alcorn tr; Cornbread Thomas cl/voc; Waldren "Frog" Joseph & Wendell Eugene tromb; Jeanette Kimball pno; French bjo; Stewart Davis b; and Louis Barbarin dr. Eugene is the only one still around and playing as well. Fats Domino recorded "it's You I Love" Apr. 11, 1957.
Per Oldaeus.

Attachments:
a french.jpg
a french.jpg [ 156.32 KiB | Viewed 16469 times ]

Last edited by Fessologist on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 am 

Another LP cut at the 525/521 Gov. Nichols Studio, by "Cos", the date was Dec. 12, 1962. I feel there should be a plaque on this building as commemoration.

Last year, Gerri Hall showed my wife and I where the studio was located in the building. Hall cut many times for "Cos", with Huey "Piano" Smith, of course, and once with Little Willie John. A session I've tried to find. Best...

Attachments:
sayles silver leaf.jpg
sayles silver leaf.jpg [ 66.71 KiB | Viewed 16470 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

These are Great, Per - Thanks!

I agree, the site of the studio should have some kind of plaque, or something. It is my understanding that the building is now owned by Brad Pitt - who would no doubt be amenable to that, I'd hope.

I've visited the site myself several times, and it is interesting to note that there is an interior courtyard/parking area through that iron gate...

Attachment:
525 Governor Nicholls.jpg
525 Governor Nicholls.jpg [ 337.06 KiB | Viewed 16466 times ]

Where did Gerri indicate the actual studio was? Cos told John Broven that it had previously been an 'avocado warehouse', with cork-lined walls, which no-doubt added to 'that sound'!

Thanks!

-red

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:37 am 

Hi,
Gerri stated that the first studio was located to the left of the entrance - it was then moved to the second floor with an entrance from the patio. My wife Karina and I did extensive interviews with Gerry and Karina filmed her too. Such a GREAT woman (Gerri) with so much to tell. We will transcribe the interviews and edit, for a future article, a hopefully, a film documentary. Cheers: Per O.

Last edited by Fessologist on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:47 am 

An LP waxed at the JAZZ CITY STUDIOS on Camp Street, early 70s. Drum legend James Black's presence makes it worth having. Fender Bass player/singer George French is another interesting and excellent musician, and still playing.

Attachments:
FRANK TRAPANI B.JPG
FRANK TRAPANI B.JPG [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 16462 times ]
FRANK TRAPANI A.JPG
FRANK TRAPANI A.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 16462 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Per -

Fantastic info from Gerri!! Looking forward to hearing more of what she had to say!

-red

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

In the upcoming updated version of John Broven's "Rhythm & Blues in New Orleans" Cosimo himself is quoted as saying:

Quote:
"Actually Governor Nicholls was two locations in a sense. When I first went there I went to 523 Governor Nicholls and put in a small studio, about 17 feet by 28 feet, and then got the place next door, 525 Governor Nicholls, which is where we had the big studio, 35 feet by 75 feet."

So it would appear that the upstairs studio ran the length of the building...

-red

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:57 pm 

Red, Broven's probably right, yet, according to my notes, Gerri stated that the first small studio was to the left of the entrance. She made many recordings there in the 60s. I guess that John first came to NOLA around 1971. (I made my first trip to the city in the fall of 1966, next, fall 1969 etc.)
I'm really looking forward to the new edition of John's book. Best P.O.
PS, in my Fess Longhair book there's photo (2007) of "Cos" and Rick Coleman standing to the right side of the entrance to entrance of the Gov. Nichols building.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Interestingly - if you look at the studio track sheets on our 'artifacts' page:

http://cosimocode.com/artifacts.html

The earliest we have, a Specialty session from 1957, bears the address 525 Governor Nicholls... but by the next evidence we have - the A.F. of M. Union sheet from an April 1961 Ace session - the address reads 521 - and stays that way on the other 'yellows' and 'pinks' we have from '62 and '64, and 521 is also the address printed on the Joe Haywood tape box from November 1967...

On the surface, this appears to be the opposite of what Gerri (and Cos) was saying, as the numbers increase as you go towards the river...

A google map street view lookup of 521 Governor Nicholls, however, brings up this:

Attachment:
521.jpg
521.jpg [ 252.43 KiB | Viewed 16460 times ]

Indicating that 521 is the very first door (L-R) in the building (which makes sense) and is actually a walkway back to the courtyard, where - as Gerri told us, you entered the upstairs studio... which, at
75 feet long, must have ran the length of the entire building 521-525. 521 would then be the mailing address, I imagine.

Sound good?

-red

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion