Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   HOME

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:17 pm 

First post from me and it's not related to the Cosimo Code! Hope I'm putting it in the right place...

Some time ago I got hold of a lacquer/acetate of Archibald's Stack-a-Lee pt2. As I understand it, the seminal double-sider was recorded at J&M Studios in 1950 by Archibald under the supervision of Dave Bartholomew and released on Imperial to some success.

While the acetate has pt2 on one side, the other has an instrumental entitled "Rennies Boogie" and is credited to the Count Boss Combo. What's perhaps anachronous here is that the disc is labelled on both sides as coming from Regent Sound Studios Inc, of New York rather than a disc from J&M's own studio.

While trying to find out any information about the track and the Count Boss Combo, I came across a blog entry about the song in which a reader comment states the following:

Quote:
I have Stack-A-Lee from Archibald (taken from the master tapes) on CD from a Dave Bartholomew compilation (since he produced the session) called "The Spirit Of New Orleans - The Genius of Dave Bartolamew"[sic]. Of course this CD collection is now long out of print. The curious thing is while it claims to be "Stack-A-Lee Parts 1 & 2", it appears to only be part 2 followed by a fast instrumental boogie. No idea how this mistake was made but the instrumental is a great little track

This brings up a number of questions:

1/ Who was Count Boss (and his Combo)?
2/ Did the track "Rennies Boogie" get a release?
3/ Is "Rennies Boogie" the unidentified track that appears on the Dave Bartholomew CD in place of Stack-a-Lee pt1?
4/ Did Cosimo or Bartholomew have any obvious New York associations that might easily explain why this acetate came from Regent Studios?
5/ Any thoughts or comments?

Here's a link to "Rennies Boogie" on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/bhTKt9dOX_4

Any/all input will be gratefully received.

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:43 am 

Hi Russell, welcome here.
The Dave Bartholomew CD indeed contains Part 2 (the side with the long piano intro) followed by an instrumental, but it's not Rennie's Boogie from your youtube clip. I'll check later today if there's any additional info in the booklet of the CD...
Peter

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:48 am 

Much appreciated, Peter! Thanks...

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:14 pm 

Hi Russell,
There's no further information in the booklet after a quick check. The instrumental track on the CD is actually "Ballin' With Archie", which you can hear here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA5ZK7m-IRk , from another Archibald Imperial release.
Peter

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 am 

Thanks for taking the trouble to dig that out and have a look. At least it clears up for me whether the track was on the CD or not. Everything else, though, still remains a mystery...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

For what it's worth, here's John Broven's two cents, after he compared 'Rennie's Boogie' to the CD track:

Quote:
"Sad to say, it's not the "phantom" "Stack-A-Lee" cut that appeared on the Dave Bartholomew double CD.
Don't know about you, but I don't even hear a New Orleans recording - more like New York (hence the Regent Sound Studios lacquer?).
Count Boss Combo? Seems as if somebody was making a play on Count Basie.

As an aside, the mastering topic generally is woefully under-researched for the 1940s-1960s period."

Thanks!

-red

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:57 pm 

Thanks, Red.

I guess any performer or group using 'Count' in their name could be seen as playing on the international fame of 'Count Basie'. :D

Considering the Regent Sound Studio label on the acetate and it's NY address, it would be quite sensible to presume that "Rennies Boogie" was cut there. New York or New Orleans, until some info can be found on the obscure Count Boss and his combo, and a connection made as to why Stack-a-Lee pt two is paired with it, the story will stay a mystery.

Coincidentally, the only semi-tangible reference that I can find to such a person is from a newspaper article about a piano once belonging to JS Bach that was owned by a Count Boss. That though is dated 10th November 1890.

The paper… The Times-Picayune of New Orleans.

There's no connection between the piano-owning and the piano-playing Counts for sure, but I did think the coincidence of it quite amusing. :)

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion