Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   HOME

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:54 am 
Site Admin

That's right, now it can be told - John Broven, John Ridley and I have been working behind the scenes on putting together a 'Cosimo Code' CD for ACE Records in the UK... finally ready to go, it's scheduled for release on August 25th:

Attachment:
COS ACE COVER.jpg
COS ACE COVER.jpg [ 76.5 KiB | Viewed 6614 times ]

Watch this space for more info on track listing, etc. soon!

Thank You Ace Records!!

- red kelly

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:38 am 

Fantastic! Let's hope this one runs as long as the 'By The Bayou' series.....

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:41 pm 

Just a quick post to say how good this new CD is. Got mine today. Some of the mastering is a huge improvement on previous other re-issues - the Willie Tee and Robert Parker now sound super!

Had never heard the Berna Dean - This Is The City before. I like it a lot. Also the Bartholomew re-make of "Monkey" is great - though just as it begins to fade out it seems to get better and funkier (like some of those Earl King tunes on Imperial), you just wish they'd let the tape roll longer.

So congrats to all involved in putting it together.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thank You, Andy!!

I particualrly love the Ronnie Barron/Benny Spellman cut... great stuff!

-red

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:04 pm 

Nice one guys. Times are tough and I have most of these tracks but if the sound is the usual Ace standard, I'm in. How does Johnny Adams Release Me sound now? I've long thought that the versions available could be better.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:42 am 
Site Admin

Guys -

The version of "Release Me" on the CD has been newly remastered from the original MONO tape, and sounds GREAT!

As a matter of fact, ALL the tracks on the CD are presented as they were first heard on the AM radio, in their original glorious mono mix... including "Get Out Of My Life, Woman" - which Rob Santos at SONY was kind enough to dig out of their vaults for us.

The real deal.

-red

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 pm 

Great - it's ordered and on its way! Looking forward to many many volumes of this!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:50 pm 

Gents - the CD is fantastic. There were three tracks I didn't have at all and the sound was better on all of the others. Loved that Berna Dean. Is that some leg slapping percussion going on?

Can I ask why you chose these tracks? Personally I'd prefer obscure stuff, from the master tapes. Oh yeah! But I'm not complaining......just wondering why y'all went for these particular tracks.

Also interested in the licensing details. Does Universal now own Minit and WEA own Instant? Plus, some tracks seem to be licisnsed from two sources eg tracks 3 & 4 seem to from both Universal and Capitol. (this is dry as dust to most people but I'm interested!).

Lastly, will there be more? You can't beat Ace for sound and liner notes.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Jorrox -

I thought John Broven (who worked for Ace for sixteen-odd years) could best answer your question:

Quote:
Berna-Dean percussion? Would be interested in any comment by a professional drummer. Agree, a great record that grows on you.

Reason for those tracks?
1. There has never been a broad overview of 1960s New Orleans R&B, including the essential hits, until this one.
2. The compilation follows the very successful Ace "Golden Age of American Rock 'n' Roll" formula of mixing 'n' matching familiar tracks with the unfamiliar, all of which are musically very good.
3. It doesn't pay to release "obscure" tracks for the diehard fan because there aren't enough of them - and on past experience, speaking cynically, they probably wouldn't buy such a CD anyway.

Licensing?
1. Universal now owns Minit following the fairly recent EMI masters purchase. Similarly, Capitol is now part of Universal following the EMI takeover.
2. The Chris Kenner Instant track was licensed from WEA through the original Atlantic acquisition of the track.

More?
Could be, but New Orleans 1960s masters are notoriously difficult to license. Still, this release has got off to a great start with the first pressing sold out in its first week of release!
JJB

There Ya Go!

Thanks!

-red

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:13 pm 

Thanks guys. Sorry it took some time to reply. I've been involved in matters constitutional here in Scotland!

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » General Discussion