Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   HOME

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » Dover Records

Post subject: Dover's lost tapes
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:20 pm 

I cannot remember where I read it and it's certainly over 30 years ago, but I recall reading that the US Inland Revenue seized the tapes. It's a thin 'lead' but better than none at all!
The Soulman

Post subject: Re: Dover's lost tapes
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 pm 

"Internal" Revenue. When I moved here in 1978, I lived at the YMCA, two blocks away from Jazz City. I was walking back from my dish washing job on Camp Street. There was no sign in front of Jazz City, but there was a pile of files, tapes and 45s, put out on the curb one evening. There was also a garbage truck a block away. I grabbed as many 45s as I could, but the rest of that stuff wound up in a landfill in NOLA East. Cos also told me a lot of the other Jazz City stuff went to an INS warehouse in Memphis. Sad, sad, sad.
-Jeff Hannusch

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 am 
Site Admin

This just in from our friend and Ace Detective George Korval:

"Now, about those master tapes after Dover went into bankruptcy. Legend has it that a Tennessee company bought the tapes for re-use/scrap. [Somewhere I have the name of the company which I noticed in a years-later legal matter not involving Dover...could find it if it helps.] A musician told me that when Earl King heard about this, he went to Tennessee to rummage through the tapes but didn't find what he was looking for. Can't wait to hear other explanations...and what Cos says about it!"

I imagine the IRS auctioned the stuff off to the highest bidder... we'll see if George comes up with the name of the company.

Thanks, George!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:43 am 

Earl told me that story. He went up there with Issac Bolden and they came home empty handed. I think they were looking for Soulin' masters.
-jeff hannusch

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:49 pm 

'Billboard' reported in their April 6th 1968 issue, that Dover's legal representatives in New York were Marshall, Vigoda & Morris. They were handling the (short-lived) agreement for Dover product to be distributed outside the USA by London Records.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, we've got that clip up on the 1968 page - a 'google' of that law firm yields no results, however. This article, we think, means that at this point Dover was still solvent. I mean, I'm sure London wouldn't have agreed to do business with them if they had already filed bankruptcy...

The interesting thing, and what may provide some clues as to the disposition of the tapes, is that (according to John Broven) London ended up suing Dover in New York's Supreme Court shortly after that. We're trying to figure out how to get a Court transcript of those proceedings.

Stay tuned!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm 

Johanon Vigora was probably one of the attorneys involved in the distribution deal with London.
http://encore.celebrityaccess.com/index ... leId=41052

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:49 pm 

Oops! That last post SHOULD read Johanon Vigoda (NOT Vigora).
The Soulman

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 am 

If the Jazz City tapes went away, be it to a landfill or an IRS warehouse, it's a safe bet that my masters ended up in one of those places, too. Pity.

Roland St.Germain, ROOM ONE Studio
Henderson, NV, September 23, 2014 :cry:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 pm 

red kelly wrote:
Yes, we've got that clip up on the 1968 page - a 'google' of that law firm yields no results, however. This article, we think, means that at this point Dover was still solvent. I mean, I'm sure London wouldn't have agreed to do business with them if they had already filed bankruptcy...

The interesting thing, and what may provide some clues as to the disposition of the tapes, is that (according to John Broven) London ended up suing Dover in New York's Supreme Court shortly after that. We're trying to figure out how to get a Court transcript of those proceedings.

Stay tuned!

What came of this? I can look into this, if necessary. Anyone have a case number?

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » Dover Records