Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   HOME

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » Dover Records

Post subject: Re: Dover's lost tapes
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:48 pm 

red kelly wrote:
Yes, we've got that clip up on the 1968 page - a 'google' of that law firm yields no results, however. This article, we think, means that at this point Dover was still solvent. I mean, I'm sure London wouldn't have agreed to do business with them if they had already filed bankruptcy...

The interesting thing, and what may provide some clues as to the disposition of the tapes, is that (according to John Broven) London ended up suing Dover in New York's Supreme Court shortly after that. We're trying to figure out how to get a Court transcript of those proceedings.

Stay tuned!

It might make sense that Dover was in awful straits and tried to sign a new distro deal for an influx of money, all the while attempting to put one over on London in regards to their solvency. Maybe when the first payments from Dover were, ah, underfunded, the mess hit the fan.

Last edited by W.Luck on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:23 pm 

The London Records v. Dover Records lawsuit was actually filed in New York's Superior Court.

A clipping from Billboard published on April 26, 1969 with a brief description of the case outcome can be found here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=dCgEA ... ds&f=false

Perhaps it will be easier to find a Case Number now. I hope so.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

OK - here's a grab of that Billboard article:

Attachment:
BB690426.jpg
BB690426.jpg [ 47.83 KiB | Viewed 6045 times ]

...waiting to hear back from Broven about the status of his enquiry.

Thanks!

-red

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 pm 

The NY Superior Court records dept. has opened a case for me in re: London v. Dover. I hope to know more by Friday; all these files are on microfiche.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Great Job, W!!

Thanks!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:51 pm 

At long last: the microfiche index (card catalog) number of the case is 2049-1969. It's on the desk of the archivist for tomorrow.

I'm guessing that we'd like the initial/amended complaints, plus answers to interrogatories. I mean, what information are we looking for from this case?

If anyone reading this is based in NY, you can just walk in and pay for copies over the counter. Anything else is $$$.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome... let me speak with John Broven, he may be interested in making the trip... when you say "on the desk of the archivist" - where exactly would that be? Is there a phone number where they can be reached?

Thanks!

-red kelly

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm guessing that we'd like the initial/amended complaints, plus answers to interrogatories. I mean, what information are we looking for from this case?

I think the main idea is to discover what the 'disposition of assets' might have been in the case... in other words, if London was awarded all of Dover's masters, where might they have been delivered?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:51 pm 

Red: the entire case is only 20-30 pages. It was initiated in 1969, not 1968 - so it seems to have taken no more than four months, max, from stem to stern. Pretty quick work.

I have several NYSC phone numbers at my disposal, but since I'm actually still working on a quote, I don't want to gum up the process by introducing extra hands quite yet. Hope you understand.

I'm looking to get a firm answer of our price + procurement options later today. I'll keep you posted.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:16 pm 

The last I heard was that London became a subsidiary of Capitol Records UK as of 2013, which itself may have been gobbled up by Universal Music Group - at least the majority of Capitol now resides there.

That is a symptom of the bigger disease that has stricken the music industry - just about every "label" is owned by a small number of companies. You can count them all on one hand with two fingers blown off.

Board index » THE COSIMO CODE » Dover Records